The first official day of summer 2017 is June 20th. However, many areas around the nation are already enjoying warm and toasty weather. As things heat up, you will be inspired to head outdoors. The sunscreen dos and don’ts will help protect your skin.
- Wear sunscreen every day, even when it’s not summer.
- SPF 15 is great for minimal exposure, but nothing less than SPF 30 for days spent outdoors.
- Apply 15 minutes before heading outdoors and reapply at least every 2 hours.
- Don’t forget your hands, feet, ears, face, hair, and lips.
- If you’ll be working out or in the water, opt for an environmentally friendly waterproof sunscreen.
- Opt for a broad-spectrum UVA/UVB sunscreen.
- Apply at least a shot glass full for head to toe coverage.
- Use a non-comedogenic option for your face and neck and for your back if your skin is sensitive.
- Never skip application because you want a tan; you will still tan.
- If you burn, apply a natural aloe ASAP and avoid the sun or cover up until your skin heals.
Your skin is your body’s largest organ, so you must protect it by committing to a daily skin-healthy routine, which includes year-round SPF protection.