In your growing effort to be a responsible consumer, you may find yourself searching for more ways to green your lifestyle. Below are just a few ways you can reduce waste, and ensure you leave nothing behind.
- Invest in bio-degradable plastic garbage bags.
- Keep a few garbage bags in your car, and with you when out enjoying nature.
- Invest in a few quality hot/cold travel containers—and eliminate the need to use disposable café cups and water bottles.
- Teach your children to clean up after themselves when eating at parks, or really anywhere.
- Think before you throw something away. You may no longer need it, but someone else may. Everything from old tennis shoes, to worn out clothing, broken electronics, and damaged furniture can be recycled and upcycled.
- Volunteer (officially or unofficially) for programs that help to keep your community clean.
- Buy things in bulk, which creates less packaging waste.
- Shop at consignment stores, thrift stores, estate sales, and garage sales.
- Plan your meals carefully so that you don’t throw out any food, and eat your leftovers.
- Learn how to compost.
While it’s impossible to genuinely leave nothing behind, you can drastically reduce your waste.