Sleep is essential for all areas of health and well-being, including focus, immunity, energy, mood, stress level, and even weight loss. Between your personal and professional schedule, it can be easier said than done to wind down at the end of each day and get the R&R you require. Here is how to optimize your sleep.
- Create a bedtime ritual that helps you relax: stretch, meditate, drink a bedtime tea, read, or use a relaxing aromatherapy essential oil, room spray, or incense.
- Unplug at least 1 hour before bedtime, including gaming—your e-reader doesn’t count.
- Limit alcohol the last 2 hours before bedtime, and caffeine for at least 5 hours before bedtime.
- Clean and organize your bedroom so that there are no visual or tangible distractions.
- Make your bedroom comfortable for you: buy comfy new sheets, invest in a new bed, buy new neck and body pillows, invest in an adjustable mattress, etc.
- Make sure your room is a comfortable sleeping temperature. If this varies from your partner’s perfect room temp, invest in a cooling mattress pad or a heated mattress pad.
- Workout during the day, at least 2 hours before bedtime. However, a PM yoga or Pilates routine may help you wind down.
- Don’t overindulge or overhydrate before bedtime, but ensure you are generally hydrated and are not hungry which will help you to sleep through the night.
Now you know how to optimize your sleep and get your best night’s rest yet.