One of the most common reasons for traveling less than we desire is the expense of traveling. While there will always be a cost, there are many ways to save. Here’s how to save money on your next vacation.
Save On Flights
There are lots of great ways to save money on your airfare:
- Book your next vacation when out of the country, especially if you are somewhere that the US dollar goes farther. This alone can save you hundreds per ticket.
- Buy your tickets at least 6 weeks in advance, 12 months in advance and you can sometimes find outstanding deals.
- Fly in the offseason where everything from flights to accommodations and excursions will be cheaper. Just make sure you understand what that means. For example, will the weather be extreme?
- On the flipside, if your travel dates and destination is flexible you can sometimes find rock-bottom last-minute flights.
- Consider an off-the-beaten-path location.
- Fly on discount lesser known airlines, just be sure you understand their carry-on and checked luggage policies.
- Fly on regional airlines and take many small stops along the way.
Save On Your Hotel
Don’t get me wrong, I love staying in a cozy hotel but since you aren’t going to spend much time in your hotel room why pay more? Look at your option in modern hostels, many of which now offer private accommodations. Get the details on the local cheap motels, like Motel 6 and Super 8 which in many rural areas are quite nice. Some even have swimming pools. Last but not least, explore your options in Airbnb’s where you can rent either full places or a room in someone’s home. Sometimes the space is partially private, like an attic, basement, or on-site studio.
Last but not least, pack light. The less you pack the less you have to spend on luggage and the easier it will be to get from one place to the next.