We have all heard about immunity-boosting antioxidants and maybe even that white blood cells play a vital role in boosting our immunity. But have you ever heard of NK cells?
What Are Natural Killer Cells?
Natural killer cells (also known as Lymphocytes) are a naturally occurring white blood cell produced by bone marrow, lymph nodes, spleen, tonsils, and thymus. Their job is to identify stressed cells in your body and activate within 72 hours or less after the onset of an infection or tumor and work to get you back to optimal health.
How Can You Boost Your NK Cells?
While your NK cells will activate automatically, you can adopt healthy lifestyle habits that will increase your number of healthy cells and how quickly they activate when needed. Some of the most effective ways is to:
- Spend more time in nature
- Eat more mushrooms, sea vegetables, probiotics, vitamin C, beta-carotene, ginseng, vitamin E, and soybeans
- Drink more water and green herbal teas
- Decrease your level of stress
- Minimize the unhealthy fats in your diet
While we can’t see or feel these immunity-boosting cells, we can do our part to ensure our body has what it needs to fight infection and cellular stress.