Do you lay awake tossing and turning at night? Or do you have the occasional nights where you can’t fall asleep? Or can’t turn off your brain and relax enough to sleep? These tips will help you fall asleep faster.
- Blink 100 times rapidly. It sounds silly and looks even sillier, but it builds up lactic acid and tires out your eye muscles. It also distracts your brain as it’s hard to blink rapidly and count and worry at the same time.
- Roll your eyes up, kind of like an annoyed teenager, at least 3 times. This mimics the natural state your eyes will position themselves in while sleeping so it can help trigger your body that it’s time to sleep.
- Deep belly breathing. Do it any way that feels comfortable to you, just be sure to fill up your belly with air, hold for at least a few seconds and exhale fully. At least 10 times.
- Do something to relax your body. Steam, take a hot bath, a warm shower, stretch, or tense and relax your body from head to toe.
- I’m as guilty as the next person. I love caffeine and drink coffee and tea any time it sounds good to me. But we must stop drinking caffeine at least 6 hours before bedtime or it will keep us up at night.
Try one or all of the tips above to help you fall asleep or stay asleep.