If your budget is tight you might worry that your wardrobe will be limited. Here’s how to look your best without breaking the bank.
Invest In Quality Staples
Regardless of your style there are capsule wardrobe items that you can dress up, dress down, wear year-round, and mix and match in an endless variety of ways. These are the items you can look for while on sale but be are where investing in quality is key. This includes:
- 3 to 5 neutral bottoms including jeans, black pants, and a grey skirt or slack.
- 5 to 7 neutral tops including a white button down, solid t-shirts, and a blouse and dress shirt.
- 3 to 5 layering items including blazers, sweaters, cardigans, and a casual jacket or two.
- 2 to 5 versatile shoes including a black or brown heel or dress shoe, a multi-purpose winter shoe, one pair or boots or booties, and a multi-purpose spring and summer shoe.
- 1 to 3 outer jackets including a trench and winter coat.
- 1 or 2 suits and semi-formal outfits for special occasions.
If your budget is smaller than you desire you must be strategic. Most of your spending must be scheduled in advance, so that you can take advantage of seasonal store sales. For example, I purchase all my athletic attire during Black Friday and Cyber Monday sales and I have a range of stores I shop during their semi-annual sales. Also, consider thrift stores, clearance racks, and discount retailers.
Last but not least, finding new ways to mix, match and re-accessorize your wardrobe is what will make it feel larger than it is.