May is Mental Health Awareness Month making now the excellent time to discuss the complementary and alternative approaches to managing mental health. There is not a single solution that will work for everyone so we must keep trying until we find what works for us.
- Explore alternative therapies such as art, music, hypnotherapy, or spending more time in nature.
- Read self-help books that discuss strategies targeted to your condition. The key is to be more than inspired by what you read, but in committing to the actionable steps.
- Join an online or in-person support group.
- Try yoga, guided meditation or even tai chi or qi gong.
- Work with an alternative health practitioner to learn chakra clearing, energetic healing, crystal therapy, or EFT tapping.
- Make healthy lifestyle changes such as diet, exercise, and prioritizing your sleep.
- Listen to ASMR, binary beats, chanting, live sound therapy, or positive affirmations.
- Check out the growing options in virtual therapy for PTSD, depression, and other condition-specific mental health conditions.
You can try these alternatives solo, but many can be done with friends. Speaking of friends never underestimate the importance of socialization with healthy friends for boosting your mood.