Barbeques, picnics, cookouts, and potlucks are one of the joys of summer. Here’s how to have your fun with a green summer BBQ.
- Buy your meat and produce from local farmer’s market’s, co-ops, farm shares, or farmers—this will reduce your carbon footprint and boost the quality of your food.
- If you are hosting in your backyard use as many washable items as possible—and be sure the dishwasher is full before you run it.
- Invest in recyclable and biodegradable plates, cups, straws, and utensils. Even paper straws!
- Bring cloth bags with to store and organize leftover plates, cups, straws, and utensils.
- Label trash cans so that guests can easily recycle glass, paper, and plastic.
- Buy snacks, chips, drinks, and condiments in bulk, the less single-use items the better.
- Have a plan in place for leftovers—send it home with your guests, have foil and reusable containers on hand, freeze what you can, and be sure to eat the extras.
- Cook lots of veggie side-dish options as you can as they are faster to grill.
- If you can, grill with gas opposed to charcoal or electric grills.
- Send out electronic invites and post clear signage so that people can find where you will be grilling.
Here’s to green and fun-filled outdoor dining!