While what to pack may be your top priority you want to return to a home that is clean, organized, and welcoming. If you will be heading out for an extended vacation turn to the tips below.
- Empty the fridge of cheese, yogurt, dairy, fresh produce, leftovers, and anything else that may expire before you leave.
- Purchase a few heat-and serve-meals and shelf-stable food, snacks, and beverages so that you have something quick and easy to prepare upon return.
- Put your mail on hold with the post office or have a friend or neighbor check your mail.
- Arrange to have a house sitter or cleaning service stop by once a week to clean, water plants, and keep an eye on your home.
- Invest in a few plant watering globes or bulbs or make your own with a wine bottle or other long-neck bottle.
- Change your sheets and towels so that you will return to fresh linens.
- Do all your laundry so it’s not smelly when you return.
- Invest in a smart home system to turn your lights on and off, maybe even your TV or sound system, while you are a way to make it look as though someone is home.
- Set up home security cameras to keep an eye on your home from afar.
Enjoy your extended vacation!