Stress is something we all say we want less of, so what if I told you that the high-stress life you want to escape—is a life you might be addicted to? Stress spikes our cortisol levels providing us with a natural but unhealthy high. There are many symptoms associated with stress that has crossed the line into addiction, but these are the top 5:
- You have no free time. Your schedule is packed, you never get everything done, and there is no end in sight.
- Free time stresses you out. Even when you are on vacation you worry to fulfil your need for stress.
- Your personal relationships are suffering. When was the last time you saw your BFF? Are you always arguing with your kids? Do you make daily quality time with your partner?
- You can’t recall the last time you had a truly amazing, relaxing, or fun day—or even a couple of hours in a day. Like a long brunch with friends that made you feel lighter and happier, or time spent doing one of your favorite hobbies.
- You complain constantly. You might not even notice you are doing it as you may just see your daily complaints as an honest and ongoing assessment of “all you have to do” and how stressed you are. Pay attention to your words, and how often you see the negative –opposed to the bright side of things.
Almost all stress can be minimized, you must first identify the role you are playing in your heavy load and mindset.